While serving time in a Texas high school, Tig failed three grades by entertaining classmates rather than entertaining the notion of a successful academic career. She decided to drop out of school in 9th grade and move to Denver, where she worked briefly in the music industry before moving to LA to lodge herself firmly into the world of comedy.
This year, Tig and her wife/writing partner Stephanie Allynne sold the screenplay First Ladies to Netflix, with Jennifer Aniston attached to star as the first female President of the United States, and Tig starring as the First Lady. In 2019 Tig will also appear opposite Octavia Spencer in the Paramount Pictures comedy Instant Family.
For two seasons, Tig wrote, produced, and starred in the critically acclaimed semi-autobiographical Amazon series One Mississippi, which she co-created with Oscar Award winner Diablo Cody. The series yielded several award nominations, including WGA, GLAAD and The Critic's Choice Awards.
In 2013, Tig was nominated for a Grammy Award for her sophomore release, Live, the number one selling comedy album of 2012. Tig was also nominated for both an Emmy Award and a Grammy Award for her 2015 HBO special Boyish Girl Interrupted. She received a GLAAD Award nomination for the Netflix Original Documentary Tig. Her memoir, I’m Just a Person, is a New York Times Bestseller.
Tig is a favorite on numerous talk shows, including Ellen, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and Conan. She is also a frequent public radio contributor. Tig continues to tour internationally, selling out Carnegie Hall in 2016. In her time off, Tig enjoys bird-watching with Stephanie, their twin sons, and cat, Fluff, at home in Los Angeles.
(Please do not share this information with anyone)
- I loved drawing Civil War portraits as a child
- Lucky number is 88
- Favorite color is green
- My great great grandfather was the mayor of New Orleans
- My best friend was voted wittiest in high school
- I am a high school drop out
- As a kid I wanted to be a teacher, architect, rock star, veterinarian, lawyer or a cartoonist
- Guilty pleasures are Americas Funniest Home Videos and walking upright
- Some favorite bands/musicians: The Pretenders, Willie Nelson, The Beatles, The Stones, Elton John, Neil Young, Cat Stevens, Ray Charles, Lucinda Williams, Van Halen, The Commodores, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, John Prine, Tom Waits, Alison Krauss, Frightened Rabbit, and The Indigo Girls
- I have played guitar since age 9 and drums since I was 22. I’m very rusty at both these days.
- Movies: Grease, Stir Crazy, Star Wars, Breaking Away, Urban Cowboy, Harold and Maude, The Jerk, Easy Rider, Boys Don't Cry and Mask
- Actors: Annette Benning, John Travolta, Cher
- Influential/favorite comedians: Laura Kightlinger, Brian Regan, Paula Poundstone, Mitch Hedberg, Jon Dore, Sarah Silverman, Richard Pryor, Maria Bamford
- Pretty much everyday I’m wearing argyle socks
- Can’t get enough of eucalyptus oil/salts
- Sports: hiking, tennis, cycling, soccer, water skiing, fishing and boating
- Foods: Anything vegan
- Astrological sign: Aries
- My three biggest fears in the world are quicksand, contracting leprosy and being stranded alone bobbing in a life-vest with my legs dangling down in the middle of the ocean at night
- I wanna go to Thailand, Sicily, Switzerland and Iceland
- Love birds, cats and fish
- I am fascinated by lefties
- Past jobs include: pizza delivery, child care, music promotion, barista, natural food store stocker, assistant at Xena: Warrior Princess